Skip to content

Andrew Carnegie Macomb Public Library

Phone

(309) 833-2714

The Macomb City Library was formed by action of the City Council. The Library was organized on November 10, 1881 when the mayor appointed a Library Board of Directors of nine members. The first library opened on April 8, 1882 on the upper floor of the Stocker Building at 109 South Side Square.

In 1883 when the City of Macomb purchased the building at 108 South Lafayette Street, the Macomb City Library was moved to the second floor. On October 28, 1904 the Macomb City Public Library opened in a new Andrew Carnegie Building at 235 South Lafayette Street. The Macomb Library building is one of 106 libraries in Illinois that were built from 105 grants (totaling $1,661,200) awarded by the Carnegie Corporation of New York from 1903 to 1914.

The Children’s Library was opened to the public on June 20, 1980. A hallway and two rooms were added to connect the two buildings on July 3, 1983.